Wednesday 22 May 2019

Living in the (ministry) bubble

In a recent interview (here), Keeley Hawes said she didn't think her time in the limelight would last. “These are only very brief moments in our lives,..I don’t live in the bubble..I live in a world with three children and paying the mortgage, worrying about the world, my family, my friends. That’s the real bubble, your life."

Does the call to pastoral ministry mean that you do have to live inside the bubble? And that you take with you, inside its fragile, rainbow-tinged film, your wife and family and, ultimately, everything you have and all that you are?

Is any attempt to somehow live outside the bubble that is church and ministry a betrayal of 'the call' and its significance? Or is it necessary to retaining perspective and a truer service of the living God?

I think that's a complex but necessary discussion that needs to be had.